Westpac Aquarium has a New Tiny Carpet Shark Aproximately 10 cm in Length
By Tessa Mills
Portobello, New Zealand - This Easter come to the Aquarium in Dunedin and meet some very cute babies. They are CARPET SHARK babies, and in the last few weeks several have hatched out of their egg cases where they have been growing for the last year or more. You can also meet their older brother who hatched out last year - see how much he has grown!
Look carefully in the egg tank and you will may spot some unborn babies as they wriggle around in their egg cases. It could be another year before some of these sharks hatch out!
- Hunt for shark eggs - Can you find the special shark eggs in the tanks? Copy down and unscramble the letters on the eggs to solve the mystery.
- Learn about marine eggs and babies from the sea - You'll be surprised at how strange some of the eggs look, and the different strategies for reproduction in the sea.
- Decorate an Easter shell - How creative are you? Can you turn your shell into a shark, a fish, a stingray or a seal?
- Free educational colouring books for all children - A chance to take home a copy of our new Rocky Shore "Who Eats Who" colouring book.
- Help feed the fish - Every Wednesday and Saturday from 2-3pm.
- Seahorse feeding - At 3pm daily. You will also get to hear how seahorse babies are made!
To view NZ Marine Studies Centre and Westpac Aquarium's web site on Zoo and Aquarium Visitor News, go to: http://www.zandavisitor.com/forumtopicdetail-2143-New_Zealand_Marine_Studies_Centre_and_Aquarium
© 2012 Zoo and Aquarium Visitor. All rights reserved.